Recently, witch kits have seen a revival (err.. revile?...pardon the pun) in and out of the Pagan community. In a recent blog, and through many discussions with you all on social media, I’ve heard that many of you don’t necessarily mind the idea of an all in one kit. But not every kit has what you want, and even if it has all the “stuff” it might not look like something you’d want to prominently display. And, even if all that is true, it still might not be something you can afford or access. Thus, I am giving birth to a new project I like to call the...
- Budget - no more than $50 pre-tax
- Must get everything on the list, or have a reasonable substitution that makes sense for your practice (but you cannot get fewer items...no saying 1 item does 3 things)
- You can only shop at 1 of the approved chain stores, or a similar chain establishment that most people have access to (you cannot go to, say, 3 different chain stores to get everything)
- You don’t have to purchase everything, but you need to record the pre-tax prices for all items and take a picture or video of your “kit”.
- No seasonal items! For this challenge, you must resist the urge to go spelunking in the Halloween decor.
- Post it to social media using the hashtag #WitchKitChallenge
- Challenge 3 people to do the same
- 4 Elemental Representations
- 1+ Representations of Spirit/Deity
- 1 Knife or Carving Implement
- 1 Offering Dish
- 1 Blank Book
- Something to do (this piece is open ended to allow for variety... You could choose a divinatory tool such as a scrying mirror, some dice, a deck of cards. The choice is yours, but it should be something you can do magically at your witchy workspace.)
- Bonus Points if you can also squeeze in a place to put your kit - a shelf or cabinet or something - but it’s by no means required (and would be quite difficult at most of the stores on the list, but you get bragging rights if you can fit it in)
- Dollar Tree
- Dollar General
- Home Depot
- TJ Maxx
My First Challenge
- Blue drinking glass for Water - $3.99
- Metal charger/offering plate - $9.99
- Playing cards for divination - $2.99
- 2 taper candlesticks - $1.99/ea
- Paring knife - $3.99
- 2 Taper candles (black) for spirit - $3.99
- Blank book - $9.99
- Salt for earth - $2.09
- Dish for salt - $1.99
- Bubble wand for air - $.98
- White candle for fire - $4.19
- Total pre-tax cost of my kit - $48.17
I wanted a few “nicer” things like Himalayan pink salt, but that was $6, and have I mentioned how much I wanted that charger in my kit instead? I had also originally selected a much nicer knife, but that was $7.99...and I was already at the limit.